About the Reinvented Toilet (RT) Technology Portfolio
- Removes germs from human waste and recovers valuable resources such as energy, clean water, and nutrients.
- Operates “off the grid” without connections to water, sewer, or electrical lines.
- Costs less than US$.05 cents per user per day.
- Promotes sustainable and financially profitable sanitation services and businesses that operate in poor, urban settings.
- Is a truly aspirational next-generation product that everyone will want to use—in developed as well as developing nations.
A range of investments resulted from the RTTC and the current BMGF WSH portfolio is composed of core-processing technologies (back-end components), front-end components (e.g., interfaces), sensors, menstrual hygiene management tools, among others. The components are integrated into complete toilet units for both single-unit reinvented toilets (SURT) and multi-unit reinvented toilets (MURT) settings. The portfolio is at various stages of product development from nine technology partners. Learn more about the investments and partners in the Reinvented Toilet portfolio here.
Below we summarize the range of information produced in the STeP platform describing our understanding of the market and user needs for the Reinvented Toilet in the following sections:
- What is the global market opportunity for the Reinvented Toilet technologies?
- How do the Reinvented Toilet technologies compare against existing sanitation solutions?
- Who are the potential buyers and users of the Reinvented Toilet technologies?
- What are key go-to-market considerations to drive towards commercialization of the Reinvented Toilet?
- What are the key technical features and tradeoffs users would expect?